Wednesday, October 10, 2007

I just wanna Saab

No, i dont want to sit around all day crying, im past that... i think. I want a Saab 96 2.3 turbo.

I was picked up leaving Amal yesterday (after my usual morning of getting lost trying to find the highway and upon finding it eating). I was once again picked up very quickly.

I was planning on just going north about 70km to a town called Karlstad, to get a sleeping pad and see the town. Instead i got a 750km ride north to a town called östersund, with Ramil. We talk constantly for the whole 10 hour trip. He was from Sri Lanka, but was adopted and grew up in sweden. He worked for Saab. Driving behind him was a test car. A Cadillac made by saab to be sold in sweden. He was on his way north for work and to see his son. He talked lovingly to his son on his cell a few times, pap is on his way.

We got along great and seemed to have similar views on life. I wondered if some of this had to do with the fact that we were both short, as i've noticed that alot of short guys have some similar behavior. We talked of the girls of the world, both deciding that Persians were the most beautiful (sorry alaskan girls, you know you'll always have my heart). We also talked alot about cars.

He offered to let me drive and i could not refuse. It was by far the best car i have ever driven. A dream. He told me that if i came to his work at the factory, i could get a tour and test drive their line of cars. My head nearly exploded. He gave me his contact info and seemed very stoked that i might come see him. I cant believe i might get to drive a 280hp car around a test track. We stopped for food a couple times and he refused to let me pay.

He dropped me off at the town camp ground. We hugged and i assured him that i would be in touch. He seemed very glad. I looked around the camp and decided to just stomp off into the woods across the street, a little urban commando camping just like those nights camping in eaglewood (i dont know, i wa in high school).

My night was to be filled with dreams of fast cars and Persian woman.
Thank you Ramil
You have alot of good karma coming your way.

I interacted with my first swede that spoke no english. I froze like a deer in the headlights. Just stood there staring, not able to get out my oh so practiced line of 'I dont speak swedish'. Luckily someone came to my aid, probably curious as to why these to people are staring at each other for 5 min. I finally got my food and kaffe.

Got a pad and long johns. It is pretty cold up here.

Either plan to head west to Trondheim or stay here tonight, havent decided.

Pictures when i can
love
L

No comments: