Sunday, October 7, 2007

Hitchen Sweden Day 1 and uhhh 2

Such a great day.
After all the frustration Dianna and i ha been dealing with, it was great to get out and breathe. I gathered my last supplies and headed east out of Uppsala (where di lives). 30min of standing with my thumb out feeling kind of stupid, a car finally stopped. A couple from Estonia with a child in a car seat picked me up. The woman applauded my hitching commenting that it was very common in Estonia . Mostly the trip was filled with the couple baby talking to their child who would reply, making me smile and fight the urg to ahhhh.

They took me an hour or so down the road to Västeras, a large city. They dropped me on a busy highway in the middle of down town. I ate and returned to the highway to try and get a ride out. Again after about 30min a car finally stopped. Only it greeted me with blue flashing lights. The cops told me i couldnt be there as it was dangerous, which it probably was but i was stuck in the middle of town. So i walked off into the city to head for the end of town.

Walking by the shops i caught my reflection in the windows and was faced with the reality that with the wind in my hair it really looked like i had a mullet. Luckily around the next turn was a salon. They were closed, lights on and my ignorance lead me to try the door anyway. A lady answered and seeing my ignorance and mullet took pity and offered to cut my hair. I felt refreshed with my 30dollar hair cut, she asked for 40 but i only had 30 in cash, and walked on to the end of town.

I reached what i saw as a safe spot and stuck out the thumb. A guy stopped and after a complete miscommunication i passed on the ride. He said something like he was going shopping and it would be 30 min or so. In reality he was saying he was only driving to köping (pronounced shopping) which was only 30min down the road. Oh well, ate some crackers and jam and continues the wait. Last cracker still in my mouth, a car finally pulled off. He was headed a good deal beyond my minimum goal for the day.

His name was Joseph, he was from Lebanon. He was large and breathed rapidly at rest. He laughed when i said i only spoke english. He told me i should be taking the train as he drove. It was fast and cheap, "what you dont have money?". He kept the conversation going with his broken english for most of the 2-3hour drive, till i fell asleep. I awoke to beeps and voices coming from his navigation unit. It was amazing what that thing knew.

Night fell and Joseph asked if i was hungry pulling into a Burger King. I said i was but reaching into my pocket quickly realized i had given all my cash for the slick new dew. He said, "no no no, i will pay, you have no money" as soon i checked my pockets. I asked for two hamburgers which were cheap. He ordered us each a triple cheese burger meal, the most expensive thing on the menu. It was great to eat something hot as i had planned on dinner of PB&J. He inhaled his meal and smoke a cigarette while i tried my best to finish all the food.

We drove on and we reached his turn off my path. He got out and shook my hand very warmly, i had enjoyed my time with him as well. He gave me directions for my continued trip, which i didnt understand at all. I nodded and smiled, thanking him for his generosity. I stomped off into the woods for the night (in sweden you can legally camp anywhere (maybe only outside city limits) for one night as long as it isnt like someones lawn). I set my tent after a long time of starring at it in the dark, regretting not getting instructions. It did have a hammer with it, which was totally needed as my bag was dangerously light.

I awoke with a coffee from the gas station across the street and was quickly picked up. The guy was swedish and heading going home from relatives north of uppsala. He had started at 2 in the morning and could take me the whole way to Göteborg. He drove me all the way down town to the train station and here i sit on a computer. Now im off to get a room for the evening and see whats around. The city is the second largest in sweden with buildings that are extremely old and some that look like they might head to orbit soon. I hope to find my friend Lotta (worked at the musk ox farm with me) her and will be here a few days.

Love to all'
L

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Lyle,
Nice blog!
You and your wild man hair, must have beena sight for those Swedes!!
The hair cut was probably a good idea.Too bad it ate up so much cash. Maybe you can eventually compile your travelling info into a "how to hitch-hike in Scandinavia" and get payed for it? Good to hear from you , stay safe,chris.

Anonymous said...

Lyle David Croft! Hitchhiking in a foreign country, just what youre mom wants to read! You better be careful or else. I can't believe you paid 30 dollars for a haircut. take care of yourself and stay alert. Sent your railpass on Sat with an eta of 5 to 10 days.... be safe we love you.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!