Saturday, October 13, 2007

The big push

So after leaving Ă–stersund i got a few short rides toward Norway. I got stuck in a cold area, a ski town that was the location of the World Championships. Stayed warm, but wished i could have gotten further.

Again in the morning i got few short rides and made it to the Norway border. There i was able to get a ride from a young trucker headed to Trondheim. It was my first time riding in a semi, very slow ride. The driver was swedish and complained about Norweigen roads for a long time. But overall he said people were more friendly in norway. He had to stop and ask another trucker for directions and he said a swedish trucker would have never stopped for him.

Walked through Trondheim and stocked up on supplies. Trondheim was the first place on my trip that i smiled at someone and they smiled back. Despite being a big city, people seemed at ease and dressed comfortably. People rode nice bikes (everyone in sweden seems to ride crap bikes because they are affraid they will be stolen, i think it just paranoia, but what do i know).

Made it out of town with a few rides to a small town. Stood in the rain, standing on snow (a mountain pass), waiting for a ride for about an hour, before calling it a night. Crawled into my sleeping bag, everything damp, but i was warm. It rained all night and in the morning the roads were very icy. I ws worried that if someone stopped for me, they might loose control. Luckily noone stopped, except a local bus headed to the next town. I got on and warmed up. Some lady got on the bus with a wig that looked like she shot her small dog and just plopped it on her head.

Waited for hours for a ride out of that town, but i was in the sun. Was about to pull all the stuff out of my bag to dry and someone pulled over. We passed an area that is frequented by musk ox, didnt see any. Next we drove along norway's longest river, down a valley of continuos towns. We passed Lillehammer and i was dropped off soon after this.

I was dropped off in a bad place to hitch, so i headed down the road to the next rest area. Many people avoided entering the rest area when they saw me (i was in the entrance so people could see me and pull in off the highway).

Side Note about hitching:

My favorite Steriotypes of drivers looking at a hitch hiker.

1. The old lady alone in the car

This is the best. A true exchange of thoughts, almost a conversation. She looks at me and shrugs in a 'I'm sorry, i'm just an old lady alone in the car and no way can i pick you up'. I smile and do my best to return a look of *No Worries, I dont think you should pick up strangers either, have a nice day'.

2. The car full of people

The driver shrugs in apology, no room. Like they would stop anyway.

3. People that lock their doors as they drive by.

Yeah, maybe if i had super powers i would get ya. But then i probably wouldnt be standing here would i.

More to come on that, maybe, probably let that one lie.

After many cars passed in a short time, i was picked up by Steien (No clue how he spells it, pronounced like steven with out the v). He was a nurse just as i have been thinking i want to be (for those that didnt know, i'm thinking about being a nurse these days, or a murse i guess). He was headed to his families to visit and go shopping. Alot of people close to the swedish border in norway cross over to shop, cheaper for them. Night fell and we approached his home town. He asked if i planned on continuing or camping. I said camp and he was on his phone right away. He offered me a place to stay at his parents. It was great. I slept in a real bed, instead of my wet ass tent. I got to dry a bunch of stuff out. I helped him change over his winter tires, he had access to a tire machine. We drank beer and talked with his father, ahh the kindness of strangers. This trip has been great for balooning my good thoughts of society. How giving people can be to complete strangers. Although i guess it has jaded me a bit as to close relations with people. Guess thats how it works though, your more likely to be killed by someone close to you, than a stranger.

After a great traditional breakfast, with so many different stuff i couldnt try it all, they gave me a lift to where they were shopping for the day. I got two quick rides and her i am in Karlstad. I am supposed to meet up with my friend Lotta here.

I'm off to find food now.
sorry about the gramatical errors, but i dont feel like correcting
L

1 comment:

cindy* said...

Hi Lyle I am quite relieved to read your message and know you are fine. I was trying not to worry as I kept checking for your update. I am thankful for the kind people who have blessed you and especially the family who opened their home to you. Thank you for updating us and please don't worry about any grammical errors. They are unimportant. What is important is you. Any chance you have to write and update us is appreciated.
May God Bless and keep you Lyle!
I love you, Aunt Cindy*